The goal of the TransART program is to enhance the experience of those using RIPTA service by providing seating and shelter from the weather while introducing interesting and unique bus shelters to the streetscape environment.
Better bus stops could benefit riders and non-riders alike by:
1. Improving the Rhode Island’s ambiance by enhancing the streetscape
2. Making it easier for more people to ride, thus improving air quality and decreasing congestion
3. Creating a safe, secure and welcoming place to wait for transit
The TransART program is made available through federal transit funds. For all TransART projects, RIPTA will provide 80% of the project cost, and the remaining 20% is provided by the partnering agency/community. The partnering agency/community is also responsible for maintaining the shelter.
There are approximately 5,300 bus stops in the RIPTA system. RIPTA prioritizes projects based on several contributing factors, including: 1) the volume of passengers who board at the stop, 2) the number of bus routes utilizing the stop, and 3) the population density of the area. Other factors may also be considered.
For more information
If you or your group would like more information about the TransART shelter program, please call Brooks A. Almonte, Program Manager at 401-784-9500 ext.148. Questions or comments can also be sent via e-mail to email@example.com