This page is a resource for information about transportation services in your community! Contact each service directly to schedule trips, ask questions, and share feedback. For general information, call RIPTA’s customer service department at 401-781-9400.
Block Island Ferry
- Passenger and vehicle ferry service between mainland Rhode Island and Old Harbor, Block Island.
- Traditional 1-hour ferry runs year-round between Point Judith and Old Harbor. This is the only ferry to transport vehicles.
- All vehicles must have a reservation, and all vehicle reservations must be booked by phone at 866-783-7996 ext. 3.
- High speed 30-minute passenger ferry runs May through November between Point Judith and Old Harbor.
- High speed 1-hour passenger ferry runs June through September between Newport and Old Harbor.
- Schedules and ticket info: https://www.blockislandferry.com/
Block Island Express
- 1.5-hour high speed ferry between New London, CT and Old Harbor, Block Island.
- Runs May through September.
- Schedules and ticket info: https://www.goblockisland.com/
Viking Fast Ferry
Local Transportation Services
Senior Ride Service (SRS)
- Taxi rides subsidized by the Block Island Senior Advisory Committee.
- Available for adults 60+, people with disabilities, and those recovering from illness or surgery, as well as medical providers and caregivers without transportation.
- Suggested tip: $3 per ride.
- To sign up, contact the Senior Coordinator: 401-486-9278.
South County Hospital Wave Van
- This service only operates on the mainland to and from the ferry landing in the Port of Galilee, not on the ferry or on Block Island.
- Transportation provided to patients needing access to the Lab, Diagnostic Imaging, Pre-Admission Testing, Cardiopulmonary services, and other medical appointments at South County Hospital.
- This is a free service.
- Trips are available Monday through Friday, 7 AM to 3:30 PM. Trips must be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance.
- Call 401-788-1178 and leave a message. A driver will call back to schedule your ride.
- Website: https://www.southcountyhealth.org/programs-services/transportation
Find car rentals and shared micromobility options such as moped and bike here.
Southern Rhode Island Volunteers
- This program does not operate on Block Island but will serve residents when they arrive at the ferry landing in the Port of Galilee.
- Transportation provided for low-income individuals or those who show a great need:
- Adults 55+ years with temporary health conditions.
- Adults 55+ years with medically diagnosed disabilities.
- Individuals must be registered with SRIV before accessing the service and must be able to get in and out of the vehicle on their own.
- There is no fee. Donations are encouraged from those who have the means.
- Trips are available approximately 8 AM to 3 PM for healthcare appointments (medical, dental, therapy), pharmacies, grocery stores, housing appointments, and food pantries.
- Reservations for local appointments must be made at least 3 business days in advance. For non-local rides, at least 1 week notice is needed.
- Call 401-552-7661 with questions or to make a reservation.
The data contained herein is for informational purposes only. It has been produced and processed directly from third parties. RIPTA makes no warranty, whether express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, completeness, reliability or usefulness of the information. RIPTA is not responsible for updating the information or for any changes made by the third parties. Any questions, concerns, comments, or complaints should be forwarded directly to the respective third party.