This page is a resource for information about transportation services in your community! Contact each service directly to schedule trips, ask questions, and share feedback. For general information, call RIPTA’s customer service department at 401-781-9400.
Local Transportation Services
North Kingstown Transportation Services
- Transportation offered for North Kingstown residents age 55+.
- Trips available within North Kingstown only:
- Monday, Wednesday to Beechwood House.
- Tuesday, Thursday to grocery stores.
- Second Wednesday to Beechwood House, then Walmart.
- Monday through Friday, 10:15 AM to noon and 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM: medical trips, i.e. pharmacies, office visits, and labs.
- Participants should call 48 to 72 hours in advance for rides.
- All participants must have a bus evaluation before they can take the bus. Vehicles have wheelchair lifts but participants must be able to get on and off the bus independently.
- There is no fee for this transportation service.
- To schedule, call the transportation coordinator at Beechwood House: 401-268-1590.
- Website: https://www.northkingstown.org/391/Transportation
South County Hospital Wave Van
- Transportation provided to patients needing access to the Lab, Diagnostic Imaging, Pre-Admission Testing, Cardiopulmonary services, and other medical appointments at South County Hospital.
- This is a free service.
- Trips are available Monday through Friday, 7 AM to 3:30 PM. Trips must be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance.
- Call 401-788-1178 and leave a message. A driver will call back to schedule your ride.
- Some areas of North Kingstown are not covered. Call for more information.
- Website: https://www.southcountyhealth.org/programs-services/transportation
Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) &
Elderly Transportation Program (ETP)
Medical Transportation Management (MTM) provides statewide transportation for Medicaid members and for all Rhode Islanders age 60+ for routine, non-emergency medical appointments. Trips must be scheduled at least two business days in advance and must occur Monday-Friday between 5 AM and 6 PM. Call 855-330-9131 to schedule.
Fixed-route buses operate along designated routes with specified stops. Information on these routes is provided by public schedules.
RIde service is available through an application process for individuals whose disability prevents use of the fixed route system or prevents travel to or from bus stops. RIde operates within a 3/4-mile corridor on either side of a fixed route and costs $4. Learn more at RIde Paratransit Program – RIPTA or call 401-461-9760.
A vanpool is a shared mobility program where participants traveling on similar routes lease a vehicle and collectively decide their daily route, times, driving responsibilities, and stop locations. For information, contact RIPTA Commuter Resources: 401-784-9575 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find taxi providers that operate in North Kingstown here.
MBTA Commuter Rail
- Providence-Stoughton Line: round-trip rail service from Boston to Pawtucket/Central Falls, downtown Providence, T.F. Green International Airport, and Wickford Junction.
- MBTA does not operate to Wickford Junction on weekends. Weekday fares vary based on distance traveled. Learn more: https://www.mbta.com/fares
- Wickford Junction Station located at 1011 Ten Rod Rd, North Kingstown, RI. 02852.
- Visit https://www.mbta.com/ or call 1-800-392-6100 for more schedule and pricing information.
Friends in Service Humanity (FISH)
- Provides transportation for North Kingstown residents to medical, dental, or social service appointments statewide (as can be accommodated).
- There is no fee for this service.
- Vehicles cannot accommodate wheelchairs.
- Clients must schedule a ride at least two business days, and preferably at least a week, in advance. The telephone line is staffed Monday through Thursday, 10 AM to 2 PM. Call: 401-295-1121.
Southern Rhode Island Volunteers
- Transportation provided for low-income individuals or those who show a great need:
- Adults 55+ years with temporary health conditions.
- Adults 55+ years with medically diagnosed disabilities.
- Must be registered with SRIV before you can access the service and must be able to get in and out of the vehicle on your own.
- There is no fee. Donations are encouraged from those who have the means.
- Trips are available approximately 8 AM to 3 PM for healthcare appointments (medical, dental, therapy), pharmacies, grocery stores, housing appointments, and food pantries.
- Reservations for local appointments must be made at least 3 business days in advance. For non-local rides, at least 1 week notice is needed.
- Call 401-552-7661 with questions or to make a reservation.
The data contained herein is for informational purposes only. It has been produced and processed directly from third parties. RIPTA makes no warranty, whether express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, completeness, reliability or usefulness of the information. RIPTA is not responsible for updating the information or for any changes made by the third parties. Any questions, concerns, comments, or complaints should be forwarded directly to the respective third party.