This page is a resource for information about transportation services in your community! Contact each service directly to schedule trips, ask questions, and share feedback. For general information, call RIPTA’s customer service department at 401-781-9400.
Block Island Ferry
- Passenger and vehicle ferry service between mainland Rhode Island and Old Harbor, Block Island.
- Traditional 1-hour ferry runs year-round between Point Judith and Old Harbor, this is the only ferry to transport vehicles.
- All vehicles must have a reservation, and all vehicle reservations must be booked by phone at 866-783-7996 ext. 3.
- High speed 30-minute passenger ferry runs May through November between Point Judith and Old Harbor.
- Ferry terminal: 304 Great Island Road, Narragansett RI, 02882
- Schedules and ticket info: https://www.blockislandferry.com/
Local Transportation Services
Narragansett Senior Association
- Transportation services within the local area are for Narragansett residents who are age 55+ or who have a disability. Community Center membership is not required.
- Transportation is available for:
- Doctors’ appointments in the South County area.
- Attending meals at the Community Center.
- Grocery shopping on Wednesdays.
- There is no fee.
- Trips must be scheduled 1 day in advance by calling 401-782-0675.
- Website: https://www.narragansettri.gov/454/Narragansett-Senior-Association
South County Hospital Wave Van
- Transportation provided to patients needing access to the Lab, Diagnostic Imaging, Pre-Admission Testing, Cardiopulmonary services, and other medical appointments at South County Hospital.
- This is a free service.
- Trips are available Monday through Friday, 7 AM to 3:30 PM. Trips must be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance.
- Call 401-788-1178 and leave a message. A driver will call back to schedule the ride.
- Website: https://www.southcountyhealth.org/programs-services/transportation
Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) &
Elderly Transportation Program (ETP)
Medical Transportation Management (MTM) provides statewide transportation for Medicaid members and for all Rhode Islanders age 60+ for routine, non-emergency medical appointments. Trips must be scheduled at least two business days in advance and must occur Monday-Friday between 5 AM and 6 PM. Call 855-330-9131 to schedule.
Fixed-route buses operate along designated routes with specified stops. Information on these routes is provided by public schedules.
Flex provides on-the-spot local service within a zone as well as connections to RIPTA’s network of statewide service. Passengers have two options: picking up the Flex van at a scheduled stop or choosing their own pick-up or drop-off point within the Flex zone. To make a reservation, call RIPTA 24 hours in advance: 401-784-9500 ext. 1220. Fares are the same price as RIPTA’s fixed-route bus service.
RIde service is available through an application process for individuals whose disability prevents use of the fixed route system or prevents travel to or from bus stops. RIde operates within a 3/4-mile corridor on either side of a fixed route and costs $4 per trip. Learn more at RIde Paratransit Program – RIPTA or call 401-461-9760.
A vanpool is a shared mobility program where participants traveling on similar routes lease a vehicle and collectively decide their daily route, times, driving responsibilities, and stop locations. For information, contact RIPTA Commuter Resources: 401-784-9575 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find taxi providers that operate in Narragansett here.
Southern Rhode Island Volunteers
- Transportation provided for low-income individuals or those who show a great need:
- Adults 55+ years with temporary health conditions.
- Adults 55+ years with medically diagnosed disabilities.
- Individuals must be registered with SRIV before accessing the service and must be able to get in and out of the vehicle on their own.
- There is no fee. Donations are encouraged from those who have the means.
- Trips are available approximately 8 AM to 3 PM for healthcare appointments (medical, dental, therapy), pharmacies, grocery stores, housing appointments, and food pantries.
- Reservations for local appointments must be made at least 3 business days in advance. For non-local rides, at least 1 week notice is needed.
- Call 401-552-7661 with questions or to make a reservation.
The data contained herein is for informational purposes only. It has been produced and processed directly from third parties. RIPTA makes no warranty, whether express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, completeness, reliability or usefulness of the information. RIPTA is not responsible for updating the information or for any changes made by the third parties. Any questions, concerns, comments, or complaints should be forwarded directly to the respective third party.