This page is a resource for information about transportation services in your community! Contact each service directly to schedule trips, ask questions, and share feedback. For general information, call RIPTA’s customer service department at 401-781-9400.
Local Transportation Services
Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center
- Door-to-door transportation for Westerly residents age 55+ (as well as residents of nearby Connecticut communities).
- Trips are from home to the PNC, vaccine appointments, medical appointments, or shopping.
- The 12-passenger bus has a wheelchair lift.
- Call (860) 599-3285 ext. 102 to enroll in the center. Once enrolled, call at least 48 hours in advance to request trips.
- Trips are free.
- Website: https://pawcatuckneighborhoodcenter.org/index.php/senior-programs
Town of Westerly/Westerly Senior Citizens Center
- Transportation is for Westerly residents who are age 60+.
- Trips are for grocery stores, pharmacies, banks, hairdressers, nursing home visits, etc.
- Operates on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
- The bus is wheelchair accessible.
- There is no fee for transportation.
- Call the Transportation Coordinator, at 401-596-7216 to make a reservation.
- Website: http://www.westerlyseniorcenter.org/
Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) &
Elderly Transportation Program (ETP)
Medical Transportation Management (MTM) provides statewide transportation for Medicaid members and for all Rhode Islanders age 60+ for routine, non-emergency medical appointments. Trips must be scheduled at least two business days in advance and must occur Monday-Friday between 5 AM and 6 PM. Call 855-330-9131 to schedule.
Fixed-route buses operate along designated routes with specified stops. Information on these routes is provided by public schedules.
Flex provides on-the-spot local service within a zone as well as connections to RIPTA’s network of statewide service. Passengers have two options: picking up the Flex van at a scheduled stop or choosing their own pick-up or drop-off point within the Flex zone. To make a reservation, call RIPTA 24 hours in advance: 401-784-9500 ext. 1220. Fares are the same price as RIPTA’s fixed-route bus service.
A vanpool is a shared mobility program where participants traveling on similar routes lease a vehicle and collectively decide their daily route, times, driving responsibilities, and stop locations. For information, contact RIPTA Commuter Resources: 401-784-9575 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find taxi providers that operate in Westerly here.
- Northeast Regional: connects Boston to Virginia Beach.
- Westerly Station: 14 Railroad Avenue, Westerly, RI 02891
- Visit https://www.amtrak.com/ or call 1-800-USA-RAIL for tickets.
Southern Rhode Island Volunteers
- Transportation provided for low-income individuals or those who show a great need:
- Adults 55+ years with temporary health conditions.
- Adults 55+ years with medically diagnosed disabilities.
- Individuals must be registered with SRIV before accessing the service and must be able to get in and out of the vehicle on their own.
- There is no fee. Donations are encouraged from those who have the means.
- Trips are available approximately 8 AM to 3 PM for healthcare appointments (medical, dental, therapy), pharmacies, grocery stores, housing appointments, and food pantries.
- Reservations for local appointments must be made at least 3 business days in advance. For non-local rides, at least 1 week notice is needed.
- Call 401-552-7661 with questions or to make a reservation.
- Door to door transportation as needed for Village members. (Membership rates are sliding scale but individuals must be registered to access the transportation service.)
- Typical trips are for shopping, errands, medical appointments, and social events, and can be any destination within a 25-mile radius of Westerly.
- Rides to T.F. Green International Airport and to Providence for medical appointments may be accommodated if feasible.
- Drivers are trained and vetted volunteers.
- Call 401-228-8683 for more information or to schedule a ride.
- Website: Westerly Village
The data contained herein is for informational purposes only. It has been produced and processed directly from third parties. RIPTA makes no warranty, whether express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, completeness, reliability or usefulness of the information. RIPTA is not responsible for updating the information or for any changes made by the third parties. Any questions, concerns, comments, or complaints should be forwarded directly to the respective third party.